Makkan
Private First Class
Private First Class
Favorite Server: BC2
Sweden

Contributor

Membership

26 Oct 2017, 17:07

Hey ho! Am I the only one thinking that the useless baserape protection should be considered to be removed? It makes no sense that players can camp from their base for a whole game, but we others can't defend our selfs from the field without getting banned. It doesn't feel fair in any way.

And also, the borders counting as the main base are totally messed up. On some maps I can kill players standning right in the middle of their base and nothing happens, but the next time, I kill someone far far outside and I get punished :lol:

Sincerely
Makkan

Nino-6-years
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Germany

Contributor

Membership

26 Oct 2017, 23:18

Makkan wrote:Hey ho! Am I the only one thinking that the useless baserape protection should be considered to be removed?
Maybe. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If base protection wouldn't exist, the server would be empty very quickly. Very often the teams are unbalanced and if players would just camp at the enemies base and spawnkill everyone immediately, they would just leave and ruin the game (have seen that on many other servers). But due to the base protection, the weak team has still a chance to get out and mostly the players stay at the server until the next round, even if they are trapped.
Makkan wrote:It makes no sense that players can camp from their base for a whole game, but we others can't defend our selfs [...]
I think base campers are annyoing as well, especially base campers in tanks. But you have the opportunity to kill a base camper by shooting at the base from further distances without being banned. This forum has a topic about that, but i am to lazy to provide the link. )) If i remeber right, it contained maps showing the protected areas.
Makkan wrote:[...] the borders counting as the main base are totally messed up. On some maps I can kill players standning right in the middle of their base [...]
Yesterday I got banned for exact this reason by accident. )) Some maps have protected areas, which i wouldn't consider as the enemies base, but it's not big of a deal, i guess. Just keep your distance and everything is fine. Also it wouldn't hurt to just back up a little and let the enemies out of the base so that the game becomes dynamic again. ))

Maybe base protection is not the perfect solution, but by far better then no protection and probably the best option that is available on bc2 right now. But thats just my opinion. ))

The only problem i have is the 60 minutes ban. :D Maybe reduce it to 30 or 45 minutes? ))

Makkan
Private First Class
Private First Class
Sweden

Contributor

Membership

27 Oct 2017, 00:31

Hmm, yeah I see your point, absolutely. But I can't fully agree because the winning team is always, when baseraping, camping in front of the others base waiting for them to come out, and the baserape problem is still there basicly. It's still like impossible for them to exit the base, but sure, most of them stays for the game to end which is all right.

This opportunity to kill them from distance is not working very good then, everytime I kill someone from half of the map I still get punished, and next time banned for 60 hours :/ Yes the base tankers are extremely annoying, C4 is therefore the best solution ;)

Trying to convince the whole team to back up is a bit tricky, believe me I've tried! The baserape protection is far from optimal, maybe there could be a antibasecamp protection too? I've played on servers which has had this function and it works pretty well. I believe one of Stratego's server rules is no basecamping.

If the other team choose to stay in their base, I think it's fair for me to kill them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[RC]Hunter
Site Admin
Sergeant
Sergeant
Favorite Server: All of them
Germany

Networker

Contributor

Membership

Loading…

27 Oct 2017, 09:07

Thanks for opening the topic and your posts Makkan.
Makkan wrote:Hmm, yeah I see your point, absolutely. But I can't fully agree because the winning team is always, when baseraping, camping in front of the others base waiting for them to come out, and the baserape problem is still there basicly. It's still like impossible for them to exit the base, but sure, most of them stays for the game to end which is all right.
Yes, the base protections becomes tricky if the stronger team starts stacking the weaker players into their base and cry about base camping. Thanks to the base protection, base rapers are removed from the round.
This opportunity to kill them from distance is not working very good then, everytime I kill someone from half of the map I still get punished, and next time banned for 60 hours :/
This is an incorrect information. You can counter base campers and the ban would last 60 minutes and not hours. ;)

The protection algorythm has an imaginary border around every base, lets refer to the OASIS map in example I just quickly catched the desired drawing illustrating the scenario on this map in Conquest mode:

The colored covers on top of each uncap represet the base rape protection areas. If you enter this area of your enemies base and you kill an opposing player, you are killed as well.

Players are smart and enjoying the rape in uncaps, which leads to frustrations and the server will empty out easily. I noticed that (even without the drawing in front of them) players start to test it out and found "the borderline" approximately, stepped two meters (two steps) backwards and start shooting into the uncaps again.

So I achieved that we do not allow players anymore to sneak into the base of the enemy and instant kill on spawn points, but I did not solve the base rape issue which becomes the top priority in Bad Company 2, rather than capturing flags and meeting on the battlefield than on the "battled base".

A second feature got introduced which is a gray zone of approx. 40 meters (hard to illustrate on the drawing), in this zone you can shoot towards the uncap and will most likely still be killed. The "error" is set to a ratio which perhaps kills you 2 times out of 3 you shoot into the base. Whats the deal here? From the uncap border until the end of the 40 meters zone, you can kill each other at no harm as long your enemy stays out of his base borderlines. However it might happen that you are within the 40m zone and your opposing player tries to escape the fight towards his base. The moment you shoot, he may just cross base borderline or you shoot at somebody just coming out of the base making his first step over the borderline. Since this is definately a gray zone to rule out, the trespas error has been put in place.

But even with this extended information provided, to cut a long story short,
on all maps we are running on our server, the base protection is in place and has been designed to allow you killing base camper while staying at ranges the closest flag position represents.

Looking at the current Oasis example again,
you are US soldier, took all flags, RU team can only spawn at their base. You camp now around C area and defend RU soldiers trying to sneak around you or trying to take C. No problem so far.

You believe you run half way down the road towards the RU base in order to shoot them as soon the RU soldier materialize due to a spawn, you are killed.

Now an opposing RU player uses the at the RU base spawned Jeep with the mounted machine gun to shoot you at C, while he believes to be smart (we are on a base rape protected server, yeah!) and stays with the car at the base. You can snipe, RPG or try to use your assault rifle shooting him from C area. Not a big deal, but you do not run into the uncap to C4 him ... while your C4 perhaps kill him in his jeep but also 3 other just spawning RU players around --> base rape ...

Same applies for the US base, while you may notice that the often used fixed mounted machine gun "at the exit of the US base" is outside the base rape protection zone. So you can still run to this player and knife him if you like.

And so it goes on for every active map on our server, its not a simple installed 3rd party server administration tool plugin. There has been many thoughts about what to rule out and how, as well many hours spent to fine tune the setup.
Trying to convince the whole team to back up is a bit tricky, believe me I've tried! The baserape protection is far from optimal, maybe there could be a antibasecamp protection too? I've played on servers which has had this function and it works pretty well. I believe one of Stratego's server rules is no basecamping.
The aim of this game is to win the round, that players understand it and play for this accordingly is nothing a server administration can influence.

Base Camping anti measures are rather less important, if you stay in your base you lose the round and you can be shoot out of your base from outside. Does not matter if you prefer to snipe from your base (easy ...), sit in a tank and shoot to ABCD instead supporting your soldiers at the flags (yawn ...) or just troll.

BC2 Conquest server rules
If the other team choose to stay in their base, I think it's fair for me to kill them
Absolutely not and therfore the base protection is in place.

copied from a different thread I replied about it as well:

base raping takes place in two cases:

- teams are heavily unbalanced in terms of skills (good to get a few base rapers removed then, so teams get a chance to mix up a little)

- server is low on population and the few players get raped by some "brainless pros"

The way or another, attacking uncaps does not show much of skill and the base protection is build in a way that you can counter attack base campers any time. You just do not run into their uncap zone, period ...

=]RC[= Hunter
skill is not an unlock ... see ya on the battlefields

Image * Image * Image * Image
Nino-6-years
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Germany

Contributor

Membership

28 Oct 2017, 17:31

Yes, i see the problem with base protection and i agree, that some people deserve to be baseraped, because they do nothing else then camp at their base. But a script is not as intelligent as a human mind. It wouldn't be able to understand a situation and then make the right decision to either punish for base-attacking or accept it. So either everyone gets punished or no one. Unfortunately there is no in-between.

For example the base-protection on Laguna Alta bothers me a lot.
If you are playing as a Russian and running from A to C along the river (see green line) and an enemy pops out at his base, you are at an open field without being able to protect yourself. He can see and kill you with no effort, but you are not allowed to shot back or somehow defend yourself, because the distance is not big enough. Escaping is difficult, becuase there is not much to hide behind, so you either die, or you kill him, but die anyways with risking a 60-minutes ban. Whatever you do - you die ... A bit wonky, i think. :D

Also i have experienced a "bug" with the base-protection.
Usually one can sit at the hill near the river and shoot into the area behind the small wooden bridge, which would be considered as the US base already, without getting banned (blue line).
One day i was sitting on the roof of the small house and shooting at enemies BEFORE the wodden bridge (red line), but got banned.
Why is that?

[RC]Hunter
Site Admin
Sergeant
Sergeant
Favorite Server: All of them
Germany

Networker

Contributor

Membership

Loading…

01 Nov 2017, 22:04

Laguna Alta is a terrible map from the design point of view in regards to bases...

You are using a default setup referring to a plugin loaded in procon. This does not nessecarily match the layout and performance of our setup here. We created some base area coordinates back then, when this plugin was under development and testing ... I do not know what is in use at the public download revision.

Do not forget the drawing/measurement tools in procon are with a high +/- tolerance pixel resolution based. Thats why I wrote earlier "hard to illustrate" and the ruler you can draw is not nessecarily what you see in the real gameplay.

Technically its simple, with each kill the server logs the coordinates of the shooting player and the coordinates of the killed victim. You do the math in between considering the set values.

=]RC[= Hunter
skill is not an unlock ... see ya on the battlefields

Image * Image * Image * Image